Black Galaxy S7, Joseph Graham 2018
I bought this phone in early 2018, choosing it because:
- LineageOS supports it, so I can run it mostly Free Software.
- Easily obtainable here in England, second-hand.
- It's a high-end phone with a good screen.
Like Samsung phones I've owned previously, I found it easy to flash the new operating system on it following the LineageOS instructions.
In addition to installing LineageOS, I updated the modem firmware. Procedure for this phone is like this:
- Download the firmware from sammobile, choosing correct device, country and network.
- unzip archive
- untar all archives inside that
- boot phone into download mode
- heimdall print-pit --no-reboot can show you what's on the phone
- OK now do: heimdall flash --CP_DEBUG modem_debug.bin --RADIO modem.bin
Good things about this phone include:
- Nice screen. The pixel density is huge and the colors are very good.
- Looks expensive so I get to feel like an expensive guy.
- Works well. All hardware is working with LinageOS including GPS and compass, wireless charging, fingerprint scanner etc.
- Very fast performance.
- Edge-to-edge screen is silly. Easy to accidentally touch the edges of the screen while holding it
- Non-replaceable battery o_O
- Wireless charging is a pointless gimmick, a charging dock would achieve the same thing
Conclusively, it's a good phone at an affordable price, that works with mostly Free Software.
See the specs here: Samsung Galaxy S5 - Full phone specifications
Article Copyright 2018 Joseph Graham
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.